Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Hexagonal Lap Loom...say what?

This past weekend I went to the garage sale to end all garage sales. This man bought a house and all of the contents in it only to find it had been owned by a hoarder. Not just your every day hoarder though a craft hoarder!! One who bought tons and tons of things and never even opened them. This sale was the 5th sale he had put on and there was still TONS of stuff! He will be doing sales every Saturday in August at the old Wendy's on Broadway. I highly recommend a trip!

I purchased a Love and Money Lap Loom from 1985. This box had actually been opened but it was the complete kit and looked like a new adventure. Plus for $10 who could pass it up? I'm a very visual learner so I struggled a bit when I first started until I found a YouTube video of a VHS tape from the 1980's that showed how to do it. After I laughed my way through the video a first time I re-watched it and I was off! I have decided to make a garden afghan as my first project. After all it only takes 102 coaster sized hexagons to make!



Here is one of the border pieces during the "tie off" phase.

You simply weave the yarn through the pegs in a certain pattern and then use a plastic yarn needle to tie off each smaller hexagon.













This is the back of the piece after it was finished on the loom. I am going with a blue edge, pink flowers and white centers on the flowers. I wanted something in fun colors for my first try.














Here are five completed "coasters". Not too shabby for a first attempt! Each of these will get sewn together with the pink and white "coasters" to form the afghan.







This is what the center piece to the flowers will look like. I will post a pink petal piece later on. I didn't have any of those done yet when I took these pictures.














I find this to all be very relaxing. I don't have to think about it the way I did crochet and you see finished results rather quick. It takes me about 30 minutes to do one coaster. So about 51 hours later I should have a completed afghan! I will post some pictures along the way. I hope to have it done by Christmas but we will see if that actually happens.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this very helpful tutorial on how to do the tying off part. I've looked for over an hour for tutorials on how to use the hexagon lap loom and have come up with very little helpful info. So for you to put a picture of how to tie it, the back finished, and it being two colors so I can visually see the difference. I really thank you this was just what I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.loveandmoneylooms.net/frinvi.html

    the video on this webpage, although old, was the one that helped me figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.loveandmoneylooms.net/frinvi.html

    the video on this webpage, although old, was the one that helped me figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you finish the afghan? I made placemats and coasters in 1981 like these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great...
    I am looking for the instruction on how to do the place mats..
    My husbands grand mother had the place mat and hot pad loom but we have no
    Instructions ...
    Keep up your good work..

    ReplyDelete